Contract Game Engineer
Night School Studio is an independent game developer known for player-driven narratives that combine wonder, danger, and humor. We’re building visionary worlds and pushing the boundaries of storytelling. We are looking for a driven and experienced engineer to help see our recently announced title, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals, to completion, as well as assist in maintaining and upgrading live titles and pipelines. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator, a skilled generalist that can adapt and learn quickly, and is well-versed in the vocabulary of story-driven games.
- Plan for and implement game systems, tools, and pipelines for one of Night School’s upcoming projects, as well as for upgrades to live games.
- Use problem-solving skills to write code that is elegant, extensible, and optimized.
- Help maintain our codebases by testing, analyzing, debugging, and optimizing.
- Work closely with peers and leadership to develop features that are of a cohesive technical and creative vision.
- Provide technical expertise to other departments where needed.
- Learn new skills, tools, and workflows on the fly to adapt to the ever-changing environment of software development.
- Clearly communicate specifications of features and tools to the rest of the team.
- Willing and able to jump into all kinds of programming and technical tasks
- Have a passion for building interesting and effective gameplay systems
- Driven to write intuitive and robust code
- Skilled at giving and receiving critique and feedback
- Able to intuit the intent of a design and translate that into a functional feature
- Self-starter willing to find solutions and ask questions when needed
- Attention to detail
- Fluent in English
Skills & Requirements:
- A breadth of knowledge in all kinds of software engineering and game development topics
- Ability to communicate effectively with other team members
- Strong 3D math and logic skills
- Experience working in Unity
- Strong understanding of memory management & performance
- Significant experience in C# or C++
- Two or more shipped console or PC games
- Bonus: Significant experience with git
- Bonus: Experience with AWS or other networking features